Monday, January 25, 2016

My Spark


Something amazing happened today. I read this piece on Facebook early as I laid in bed. I saved it to read again later, because it resonated so strongly with me. We went about our morning- homemade waffles and relaxed family time, and the hubs & I watched a little HGTV while the kid(s!!) played & napped. A new show came on that seemed kinda cool. I recorded it as it began, thinking I might not be able to get through the whole thing and would want to watch it later (life with kids!). At first I really liked it. Then I kinda liked it, but wasn't sure about the hosts (Too hipster, I told D). Midway through as Erin was sewing drop cloth curtains, I looked at D and said "drop cloth curtains. DROP CLOTH CURTAINS!!" while giving myself a chest bump. I certainly didn't invent using drop cloths for curtains, but I made some for our home a few years ago. That moment caused a little stirring in me. I watched as Erin shopped a junk store for cool finds and asked D if he remembered how much I loved doing the same. He said let's go. Really? REALLY?! You don't have to tell me twice.

We packed up the kiddos and headed to My Favorite Place. R kept asking where we were going, and I said, "mama's favorite place". "But what's it called", she pleaded. My Favorite Place! (so confusing!) It had been ages since I'd been- certainly not since having both kids- and the last time I was there it was sorely disappointing. But I was excited. D was into it. It was awesome. R found every darn animal object in there, and when things started to get boring and she declared she was ready to go home, we made a scavenger hunt out of the store. "Find a snowman. A lion. A clown" Might seem like an impossible task, but not at My Favorite Place. We were finding multiples! A fellow customer in the store who had overheard us for some time laughed as she passed us in an aisle and said, "I've been able to find every one of your items except the whale" (Yeah, I mistook a shark for a whale- we didn't find one either, but I bet there's one in there. Somewhere.)

It was fun. It was different with two kids. But it was a good different. And it was invigorating. My spark! I feel like it's back. I know me- I have to be careful. Guard it, and make sure the ember doesn't die out again. But goodness, it feels amazing to have that spark warming my soul again.

Oh and this. Because, Yes!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!! They make my day, so please don't be shy!!