Wednesday, November 14, 2012

We're Baaaaaaaaaaack!

As I eluded to last week, we made a quickie trip to Phoenix for a friend's wedding this past weekend.  We left at the crack of dawn on Friday, and touched back down in the Atl on Monday night.  So quickie, indeed, but it was So.Much.Fun!!

Let me catch you up...

It was babygirl's first trip on a plane, and ooooh was mama worried.  Especially with a double ear infection diagnosis the day before our trip.  But she did well!  Her ears were a-okay.  Now sleeping on the plane, that was an entirely different matter.  She didn't want to do it, and she got real antsy before she finally crashed.  Also, navigating airport security is quite an ordeal with a baby and all their gear (stroller, snacks, medicine, etc).  Mama was on the receiving end of a full-on pat down during our trip out of Atl, but honestly it wasn't that big of a deal.  The people were just doing their job, and they got us on the way quickly.

Here's us after that lil stinker finally fell asleep.  Can you see the relief in my eyes?!


Now just so y'all don't think I only forget to take pics for this blog, oh no, let me tell you, I FORGOT MY CAMERA AT HOME.  Yes, I couldn't believe it!!  So we have very few pics from the trip, and only 1 pic of us all dressed up for the wedding, which was actually taken by our friends AFTER we got home and were all exhausted!  Our phones were perennially running low on battery or dead altogether (as was the case wedding day), it was terrible!

The upside of the trip: the food.  O.M.G. did I eat on this trip!  Our friends/hosts cooked for us every day, and then we were treated to a pre-wedding party the day before the wedding with the most ah-mazing food.  It was great inspiration for me- I've gotten in a bit of a food rut lately.  Let me give you the highlights...

1)  Homemade french fries!  Yes, our friends made a delish meal Friday night that included homemade french fries cut by hand, tossed with olive oil & a salt-free seasoning.  They were out of this world.  I'm thinking this would not be hard to replicate at home, given a little prep time because I do NOT have knife skills!  And I'd be sure to have malt vinegar on hand.  Mmmm.

2)  Cheesy rice with jalapenos.  I can't even tell you how good this rice was.  Saturday we attended the pre-wedding party and I could have been rolled out I ate so much!  The highlights were soft tacos with carne asada or chicken and garnished with cabbage, pickled red onions and pickled jalapenos.  But I'm getting ahead of myself!  The rice.  It was gooey, cheesy, flavorful, a tad spicy from the chunks of jalapenos, but not too much.  I have been dreaming of it and googled like crazy for a similar-sounding recipe.  I think this recipe will be a good start when I try to replicate.

3)  Pickled red onions.  Where have they been all my life?!?  Those soft tacos I mentioned above, they were garnished simply with cabbage and pickled red onions (I was too much of a baby to add the pickled jalapenos) and I felt like I had died and gone to food heaven.  The tang. The crunch. The zip from the vinegar & onion.  Yum!  I googled and found zillions of recipes, but I'm going to start with this one.  And I'm thinking a batch is in order for Thanksgiving.  They'll go well with turkey, right?  RIGHT??

4)  Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins.  All you need to know is you need to make these.  Stat.  They were part of our breakfast feast Sunday morning, and they were out of this world!  Martha Stewart rarely disappoints.   Our friend made them as mini-muffins instead of regular size, and I would totally recommend going that route.  They are buttery, moist, pumpkin-y (but not overly so) perfection.  I'm also thinking this will debut on Thanksgiving morning.

5)  Egg white veggie scramble.  Okay, I know this doesn't sound like anything special, but it was outstanding.  We love eggs in the T casa, but never do egg whites.  I'm not sure why.  Our friends made egg whites with sauteed onion, peppers, mushrooms & spinach and they were so good I didn't even miss the yolk!

6)  Scalloped potatoes with jalapenos.  The standout dish in the wedding buffet line were the scalloped potatoes with jalapenos.  I almost went back for another plate of JUST potatoes.  But I didn't. And I still regret it.  LOL.  I have an excellent (and ridiculously fattening) scalloped potato recipe that I think could easily incorporate some chopped jalapenos.  But, due to the fat factor, it's going to have to wait til its annual appearance at the Easter table.

So there ya go, our trip in a nutshell!  Lol.  And let me tell you, our flight home was not nearly as enjoyable as our flight out.  Maybe because there was nothing to look forward to, except sleeping in our own beds, of course.  Here is a much less enthusiastic looking T family:


And before you ask, yes, we wore the same clothes on the plane trip back after we washed them in Phoenix!!  They were our comfy travel clothes.  :)

I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things.  Oh, to be on vacation every day...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!! They make my day, so please don't be shy!!