Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Recipe: Taco Seasoning

This is a quickie post to share the easiest recipe in the world that will totally change your LIFE!  That could be a gross exaggeration, or it may just change your life.  You'll have to try it and find out!

I made a couple of resolutions this year.  Nothing fancy, and nothing written down, but one of them was to try and MAKE more things I could easily make instead of BUY.  Like pancake mix.  Or ketchup.  And most definitely taco seasoning.  I'd made tiny batches before and it was super easy, but I had a bunch of packets in the pantry so I decided to use what I had.  Until I looked at the labels one day, have you ever done that?  Go grab a packet real quick and check out the "ingredients". Okay, toss 'em in the trash and let's grab a few spices to make your own taco seasoning using this recipe!  It's super easy, tastes way better, and doesn't have lots of icky chemicals in it.

Go to your spice rack, here's mine:

I made it!  I'll teach you how one day...

Grab: salt, black pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder (I used dried minced onion), oregano, paprika & red pepper flakes (optional).

And the end product.  Like powdered gold!  Or, really tasty taco seasoning!!

2-3 tsp salt (I only use 2, just taste and see what you like)
1 1/4 tbsp black pepper
4 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp paprika (I don't recommend using smoked paprika here, the flavor is too over-powering)
1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste.  (I leave them out because babygirl eats what we eat, so don't want to make it too spicy)

Mix all ingredients in a mason jar or any other air-tight container. Feel free to double or triple the recipe and adjust the amounts of the individual ingredients to your taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!! They make my day, so please don't be shy!!