Friday, January 25, 2013

Recipe: Chicken Tacos & Pickled Red Onions


How gorgeous is that image??  Does it make you hungry just looking at it??  Well, let me tell you how easy it is to make...

Okay, so you can hardly see the chicken for all my shredded cheese, what can I say, I LOVE cheese.  But the chicken is the base to these tacos and it's super easy.

Take a package of chicken breasts (3-4) and cut into thirds.  Add to a medium sized crockpot along with 2/3 a jar of salsa (I use a 24 oz jar, so approx 16 oz or 2 cups) and a heaping spoonful of taco seasoning.  Stir around to combine, and then resist the urge to stir during cooking!!  Cook on high for 4-6 hours, and then switch to low until you're ready to eat.  It may look like there's a lot of liquid, but don't worry.  Right before serving, take 2 forks and shred the chicken.  The chicken will shred really easily and absorb all the liquid/sauce from the salsa, and look like this:


Scoop into whatever vehicle you like: hard shell tacos, soft tacos, burritos, nachos- they're all awesome!  We dress ours with the usual tomato, shredded cabbage, cheese, sour cream.  And of course, PICKLED RED ONIONS!!!  If you recall from this post, I came back from Phoenix obsessed with them, and I still am!  I make a jar every couple weeks, and it disappears within days.  The biggest culprit?  Babygirl!  I'm not even kidding, that little gal thinks they're hot pink M&M's or something!

So here's how to whip them up:

Dice 1 large red onion.  Add it to a mason jar, or any container, along with 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup vinegar (I use plain 'ol white vinegar, but use whatever you like), 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt.  Shake it up, and refrigerate.  You can make them a couple hours in advance in a pinch, but I think they taste best if they've had at least 1 day in the vinegar.  And they turn this crazy beautiful pink color!!


And just in case you thought I was kidding, here's proof.  Girl just got a refill of pickled onions on her tray and she's happy!! I love it!!



2 comments:

  1. I REALLY hate that it is gonna be a while before i will even be able to attempt this!!! it all looks and sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!! They make my day, so please don't be shy!!