Friday, February 1, 2013

Things I Love (from around our house)

Do you ever walk by something in your own house and just smile?  Because it's the perfect piece, or the perfect spot, or it just makes you happy?  I have quite a few of those.  Here are some of my favorites...

I found this sunny yellow casserole dish (?) at a junk shop and I fell in love with the cheery color and scalloped edges.  It was crazed all throughout, so it seemed possibly unsafe for food, but a perfect little planter for a few succulents.  I had it on a shelf in our family room for a long time, but I couldn't see it well and sometimes forgot to water the plants (oops!).  I moved it to the marble table in our breakfast room where it gets lots of sunshine and the plants are thriving!  Plus I get to see it everyday.  Babygirl has even taken a liking to it and asks me to bring it down so she can see.

This little white grouping on our mantle just makes me happy!  The pieces came from different places over the years, but they all go together so nicely.  I have a subtle beach-y theme going with the accessories in the family room, I think because I'm a Pisces and love the ocean.  I'm just drawn to them!

I found this sweet little cross stitch of a yellow squash at a thrift shop.  It was in a super dingy frame with even worse matting, but I LOVE needlework, so I scooped it up.  In a simple black frame with a clean white mat I think it's adorable and just the right amount of quirk for our entry table.

And speaking of needlework, I can't get ENOUGH of this radish pillow!!  When I saw it at one of my favorite junk shops, I grabbed it as fast as I could.  The colors are so fresh and beautiful, and radishes- super quirky!!  I love that it was handmade, though I have to admit I HATE the fabric backing the pillow.  Luckily, you never really see it.

How cute are those cows?!  I've always had a soft spot for cows, and when I saw this painting at an antique store I had to grab it, even though I had no idea where it would go.  It spent some time in our stairwell, but it wasn't quite the right spot.  Then I had an idea to fill a little nook/hallway outside of our laundry room and between the dining room & kitchen.  It's the perfect surprise in the quiet little hallway.  (*Note, I have my eye on the perfect table for that space too. Dad, you know what I'm talking about!)

When a favorite shop of mine was closing, the owner sold me a pair of these lamps for next to nothing (if I recall, less than $10 each).  I'm not super into brass, but I do like the brass base, and it cleaned up perfectly.  The asian-inspired design painted on the lamps is really pretty too.  When I went to look for shades, I lucked out at Target with these gold-on-the-inside, black-on-the-outside gems.  They were on clearance too!  I love the glow the gold creates when the lamps are turned on at night.  Perfect for our nightstands!

I really love this small painting in our bedroom- the colors are so pretty.  But I hate the spot it's in.  I've GOT to spend some time sprucing up our master this year!!

Lastly, I just love this spot in our house- the stair landing.  It's such a sunny & cozy spot with a rug that was my great-grandmother's, a painting identical to one that hangs in my parent's house, and my long "linen" (drop cloth) drapes.  Sorry the pic is so dark, there was just too much light streaming in!!

3 comments:

  1. Table? What table? Trade for the cows??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, a trade? I almost feel like I'm doing you a favor though, helping to de-clutter the garage. And I'd hate to add to the clutter with the cows...

      Delete
  2. I think a new pic is a must for the last one!! Made me giggle that the pic is so dark yet you say you love it for how sunny (which im sure the sun was blazing through the window when pic was taken causing the dark photo, but still) it is. Never the less, made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!! They make my day, so please don't be shy!!