Tuesday, February 19, 2013

DIY: Beauty Secrets

Don't worry, you're in the right place!  I've never done a beauty post before, and I'm definitely not a fashion or beauty expert, but I thought I'd share two awesome beauty secrets I've discovered this year.  Remember my post about Taco Seasoning?  I mentioned one of my unofficial resolutions for this year was to try and MAKE more things I could easily make instead of BUY.  This was partially motivated by saving money, and partially motivated by being more healthy and reducing the harmful ingredients we ingest every day. 

My first order of business was homemade deodorant.  I'm not going to get all preachy about how bad deodorants & antiperspirants are for you, if you're interested, just do a little research and see for yourself.  I decided a long time ago I wanted to try and limit their usage.  That's not easy for me because I both 1) hate to be sweaty and 2) have a tendency to be sweaty!  But I've been giving it a try during the days when I'm home with babygirl and we don't go anywhere- I just don't wear anything.  And most days I don't sweat or stink- hurrah!  But, it's the dead of winter and I'm not doing anything crazy active around the house, so I knew it wasn't foolproof.  I started looking around and found lots of recipes for deodorants, most with similar ingredients- coconut oil, baking soda, essential oils, and sometimes arrowroot or other natural things.  I was up for trying it, but then I came across the most simple recipe of all (really wish I remembered where so I could give them credit!!).  It wasn't even a recipe, actually, just one ingredient:

You're probably rolling your eyes just like my sister did when I told her, but here's the thing: baking soda is so dang cheap, and I'm sure you probably have a box in your pantry like I did, so what's to lose?  Try it & see.  I grabbed a small plastic container and poured some baking soda in it.  Then I went through my makeup and found a large powder brush I wasn't using anymore.  Dusted a little baking soda under the pits and went about my day.  By the end of the day, no smells.  Tried it again, same result.  Amazing!!  Now I have to clarify I haven't tried this in the heat of summer or during a workout or any otherwise stressful/sweaty situation, but even if I have to use my old antiperspirant/deodorant for those occasions, I'm okay with that.  I'm saving a ton of money, and being much healthier in the process!!

Now if you thought baking soda was crazy, you're going to think I'm certifiably insane on this next one, but I promise it works!!  Dry shampoo.  I'm a big fan of the idea, not a big fan of the products out there.  I don't wash my hair everyday, I usually strive for every other day, or every third day.  It's better for your hair, and I just don't have time to wash, dry & style my hair everyday with babygirl!  (I'm working on some DIY shampoo & conditioner too, stay tuned!).  So in the past I've tried several dry shampoos with really disappointing results.  The Bumble & Bumble Hair Powder, apart from being expensive, was way too dark for even my dark brown hair.  It also rubbed off on anything that touched my hair, including my fingers, and just looked generally unnatural. 

So then I went to the other end of the spectrum and tried a drugstore brand: TRESemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo.  The price was great (around $5), but the result was not.  It cast almost a grey look on my hair.  And trust me, I don't need any help in that department!!  It was also sticky & stiff, almost like hairspray, so my hair just felt really yucky when I used it.

And I think we've all tried the Baby Powder trick once in our lives- talk about making your hair look grey!!  I think this only works if you have blonde hair.  It smells nice, but looks crazy!!

Enter my new trick: 
Now, this will be best for folks with brown hair, or dark roots, and I know it sounds crazy, BUT IT WORKS!!!  I also can't recall where I read this trick first, but I filed it away thinking it was a little nuts.  Then, I had an appointment, and no time to do my hair, and decided to give it a try.  I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and then dabbed my fingers into a little of the powder and ran it across my hair in sections, starting near the hairline and running back toward my ponytail.  I was AMAZED at how well it instantly worked.  Not to mention, it gave me a look of subtle highlights- very pretty!!  After I went all around my hairline, I took my ponytail out and brushed through my hair a couple times to really integrate any areas I might have been heavy-handed with the powder, and then pulled it back into a ponytail.  My hair looked fresh & clean and had a very, VERY subtle chocolate smell.  :)

What do you think, will you try these?  Or have you already?  Any other great secrets I should know about?

3 comments:

  1. I find that a razor does away entirely for the need for head shampoo. But there's still that pesky goatee---maybe a bit of cocoa would work there. And, if also used on the moustache, snacks all day!!!
    Guess Who

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, cocoa in the moustache & goatee sounds.....interesting dad!!! I think it would just make you hungry to smell chocolate all day!! ;)

      Delete
  2. i use baking soda mixed with water (just enough to make a paste) to brush my teeth (which i humbly admitted to myself after rolling my eyes at you) and twice a week i mix it with hydrogen peroxide to help keep my teeth white.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!! They make my day, so please don't be shy!!