Thursday, October 11, 2012

Recipe: Zucchini Bites

As much as I love cooking, I'm surprised that I've never blogged about cooking or a recipe!  That must change!!  I think a rush to get dinner on the table is likely to blame, that and serious budget-cooking mostly make for uninspired dishes.  But, thanks to the magic of Pinterest, that shouldn't be hard to remedy.  I found the recipe for Zucchini Bites on Pinterest the other day, and they were surprisingly simple, as in, I had all the ingredients in my house- that almost never happens!!  So I whipped them up tonight to go along with our meatloaf.


(I see why food bloggers/photographers/etc use solid white plates.  That design is distracting you from the yumminess, isn't it??)


Mix diced yellow onion, bread crumbs, eggs, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper together.


Grate zucchini...


...then place in a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much water as possible.  You will be shocked at how much water comes out!



Add zucchini to the other ingredients, then scoop into a greased mini-muffin tin, filling all the way to the top (you can even press it in if you have extras, I did, which proved to be a good idea because they did shrink up).


Bake until golden, and then devour.  These were amazingly delish and EASY to make.  They were given the seal of approval by the hubs (super picky when it comes to vegetables) and babygirl (not picky at all, even with vegetables).  I'm thinking you could sub out almost any veg for the zucchini if you wanted- squash, spinach, corn, even broccoli.  And you could tailor the combo with the cheese selection: squash & gruyere, spinach & parm, corn & pepperjack, broccoli & cheddar.  Oh yum, I love a recipe that can be re-used in a million ways!!

Spinach Bites
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1/2 cup cheese (your choice, I used parmesan)
2 cups (grated & drained) zucchini
Salt & pepper

1)  Mix onion, bread crumbs, eggs, cheese, salt & pepper together.  
2)  Grate zucchini, then place on a dish towel & squeeze out as much water as possible (this is so the bites crisp up instead of getting mushy, so it's a very important step!)
3)  Mix zucchini with the other ingredients
4)  Scoop into a greased mini-muffin tin
5)  Bake at 400 for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.  Makes 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!! They make my day, so please don't be shy!!